2016 Spring & Summer Events
Esther Jordan, Communications Specialist
Top Ten Annuals on KARE 11's Grow with KARE
Our 2015 Top Ten Performing Annuals were featured on KARE 11’s Grow with KARE gardening program, which aired March 19, 2016. Steve Poppe, Horticulture Scientist, was interviewed by co-hosts Belinda Jensen and Bobby Jensen. To view the segment, visit https://wcroc.cfans.umn.edu/news/top-ten-kare-11
Gardening Just for Kids!
A special gardening program is available Just for Kids at the Morris Public Library on Thursday, May 26 at 10:30 am. Kirstin Koch, 4-H Extension Educator, along with the Stevens County Master Gardeners, will present a garden-themed lesson plan to children ages 2-5 during the Library’s regularly scheduled story time.
Other horticulture education events for children are through 4-H Day Camps, scheduled for June 7 and June 14. Both classes will be held in the Horticulture Display Garden. For more information, or to register for these classes, contact Kirstin Koch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our biggest event of the summer, Horticulture Night, is set for Thursday, July 28, 2016 from 5- 9 pm. This annual event, which dates back to the 1970’s, continues to be a highlight for many around the region.
This year, we are pleased to offer several horticulture presentations and demonstrations, which include:
1. MN Hardy Mums, presented by Neil Anderson, U of MN
2. Hostas, presented by Jodi Ramsey and Julie Schroer, Jean’s the Right Plant Place
3. Shade Trees, presented by Peter Moe, MN Arboretum
4. Growing Garlic, presented by Carl Rosen, U of MN
5. Heirloom Vegetables, presented by Theresa Podall, Prairie Road Organic Seed
6. Backyard Birds, presented by John Loegering, U of MN Crookston
7. Small Fruits, presented by Thaddeus McCamant, Central Lakes College
8. Designing Containers, presented by Dennis Possin, Colorful Seasons
9. Hardscapes, presented by Duane Hastad, Heather Nursery
10. Annual Flower walking tour with Mary Meyer, U of MN
11. Build a low-tunnel in our strawberry plot, with Steve Poppe, WCROC
Other activities include a presentation of The Meat we Eat, Making Milk Green (a tour of our energy efficient dairy parlor), cow milking demonstrations with a sampling of ice cream and strawberries, hay-rack farm tours, vendor booths, food, and much more. A complete schedule of events, including presentation and tour times, will be made available at our Horticulture Night webpage.
Dinner in the Garden
Join us for one of the finest and unique dining experiences in west central Minnesota! Dinner in the Garden is scheduled for Thursday, September 8, 2016; social hour begins at 5:30 pm with dinner seating at 6:30 pm.
We are delighted to partner with new sources for local foods, wines, and microbrews. You won’t want to miss this! Guests will enjoy mouth-watering pairings of hors d’oeuvres with beverages during social hour, followed by a delicious seasonal three course meal, all in the beauty of the Garden.
Advance purchase necessary; seating is limited. Tickets available July through August. All proceeds support the sustainability of the Horticulture Display Garden. Visit our Dinner in the Garden page for more information.