Resources for Educators
The Children's Garden at the West Central Research and Outreach Center (WCROC) provides numerous educational opportunities for children of all ages. We welcome class visits and educators willing to collaborate with us on special projects.
We've compiled a list of helpful lesson plans, all with a focus on agriculture, horticulture and growing food. We also have three self-guided lesson plans available on-site outside of the Backpack Shack.
A worksheet is available complete with pictures of birds most commonly seen in this area, along with an answer guide. The Bird Garden in the Children's Garden is specifically designed to attract birds of all kinds, and to identify which plants attract various birds.
Plan a Class Visit
Tours of the Horticulture Display Garden are available to educators and their students. Tours might include the Water Garden, Butterfly Garden, Bird Garden, Pizza Garden and other research areas at the WCROC. If you are interested in a personalized tour for your classroom, please contact us.
- National Gardening Associations Helping Young Minds Grow
- Public Gardens in Minnesota
- Minnesota State Horticultural Society
- Junior Master Gardeners
- The Herb Society of America
- K-12 Teacher Resources for Food History Lessons
- Gardening with Children Site
- Minnesota Landscape Arboretum
- Yard and Garden Tip Line
- The Raptor Center at the University of Minnesota
- Teachers' Prairie Page
- Prairie Teachers Site
- Creating a School Garden