Our most highly anticipated event of the year—Horticulture Night—will be held on Thursday, July 28, 2022. A combination of hands-on gardening demonstrations and presentations will be available during the event.
Date: Thursday, July 28, 2022 4 pm—8 pm
Location: Horticulture Display Garden at the WCROC
Presentations: Enjoy a horticultural presentation under the comfort of a tent and bleacher seating during one of our scheduled presentations throughout the evening.
- Keynote Presentation Minnesota's Changing Climate: Implications for What We Grow by Dr. Mark Seeley, Professor Emeritus, U of MN Climatologist and Meteorologist (6 PM)
- All Things Annual Flowers, presented by Carrie Larson, McHutchison Horticultural Distributors (4 & 6 PM)
- Fall Gardening Starts Now: Succession Planting Your Fall Garden, presented by Meg McAndrews Cowden, author and creator of @seedtofork (4 & 6 PM)
- Living Fence Lines, presented by Adam Hjelm, Sauk River Watershed District (5 & 7 PM)
- Drought Tolerant Perennials, presented by Julie Schroer & Jodie Ramsay, Jean's the Right Plant Place (5 & 7 PM)
Presentations made possible by the Edna Johnson Garden Education Fund.
Hands-on Demonstrations: Several demonstrations will be spread out throughout the Garden, allowing participants to freely go from one station to another. There will be no set start and end time for these demonstrations. We encourage participants to ask questions at the stations that are of interest to them, while going through the various stations at their own pace.
- Soil Health for Vegetables, led by Natalie Hoidal, U of MN Extension
- Bud Grafting, led by David Vaske, Miltona Greenhouse
- Build your Own Fresh Cut Flower Bouquet (purchase materials on-site), led by Farm Road Flower Farm, Hancock, MN
- Bugs for Birds, led by Prairie Lakes Audubon Chapter, Alexandria, MN
Other Activities: Other activities include vendor booths, live music, cow milking demonstration, grit weeding demonstration, and WCROC farm tours.
Food: Available for purchase on-site.
One thing that the circumstances of the past couple of years has made very evident is that things can change very quickly, and we may need to shift our event plans and expectations accordingly, even at the last minute. Please check back with this event page for further details and updates about Horticulture Night, especially prior to coming to the event.
View event program (pdf)