Our Public Gardens
Nestled among the fields and rivers of western Minnesota, the West Central Research and Outreach Center's (WCROC) Horticulture Display Garden offers an educational and inspirational experience for people of all ages. Our public gardens feature a wide array of flowers, plants and vegetables in a beautifully landscaped display. The Horticulture Display Garden was established with generous support from donors who wanted to provide a beautiful venue to demonstrate and display the WCROC's horticulture research.
Plan your Visit
We are pleased to announce that the Garden is open from dawn till dusk during the growing season. Admission is free.
Re-opening after COVID-19 Closure:
To keep the Garden open and safe for all visitors and staff, we ask that you adhere to the following rules:
- Anyone with symptoms consistent with COVID-19 (including fever, cough, or difficulty breathing) should stay home.
- Maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet at times from others, except for members of the same household.
- Follow the directional arrows on the pathways.
- For the health and safety of U of MN employees, please maintain at least 6 feet distance from our staff.
- Masks are recommended in areas where you cannot practice social distancing.
- Groups no larger than 25 are permitted as long as social distancing can be safely practiced. Groups larger than 25 are currently prohibited.
- Please note that common areas such as the playstructure, picnic tables, and bench seating are NOT regulary sanitized. Use with caution.
- Failure to adhere to these rules may result in you being asked to leave the Garden.
- Be advised that the Garden may close again at any time, with little or no warning.
Signs and tags provide plant identification throughout the gardens.
The garden is the perfect place for a picnic or family outing. You're welcome to use our picnic tables, park benches or gazebo (NOT regularly sanitized), or to spread a blanket on the grass. Our garden is handicap accessible and has walking paths throughout. While you're exploring our horticulture areas, consider learning about other types of research happening at the WCROC.
Map and directions to the Horticulture Display Garden.
Explore with Us
The garden showcases hundreds of annual flowers each year, a variety of container plantings, perennials, native plantings, ornamental grasses, hostas and much more. The garden is also an All-America Selections (AAS) Display Garden, offering the public an opportunity to view the newest AAS flower and vegetable winners. More information can be found in our gardens and collections section.
Plant a Seed for the Future
The Horticulture Display Garden relies on the generosity of donors and volunteers to help the garden grow. We have an exciting vision for future expansion and enhancement as part of our Horticulture Display Garden Master Plan, but we need your help to make it happen.
- Become a Friend of the Garden - an annual membership of $50 or more makes you a Friend of the Garden. Friends receive newsletters, updates on events and invitations to donor events.
- Give to the Garden - gifts of all sizes are gratefully accepted. Consider a gift in honor or memory of someone special in your life.
- Become a Garden Volunteer - Our gardens wouldn't be what they are without the devoted help from our volunteers, and we always have room for more. Whether it's providing garden care, picking fruit, or using your handyman skills, we need you!
If you need additional information to plan your visit to the Horticulture Display Garden, contact the West Central Research and Outreach Center at 320-589-1711.